At least 12 apartments were destroyed in a fire at the independent-living Fairhaven Apartments on the 500 block of Dayton just now, according to Fire Chief Mike O’Dell. There is no cause just yet, but firefighters have the blaze contained, he said.
“There will be more damaged by smoke,” he said.
Tina Simmonsen, 56, whose apartment was destroyed, said the fire is just the latest in a long line of problems at the complex.
“A couple of weeks ago, the elevator was out, and I’m on a walker,” she said. “I had to stay somewhere else.”
When she realized her apartment was completely burned, she wasn’t shocked.
“Great,” she said sadly. “Well, at least I won’t have to pack to move to Greenleaf,” where she can get an apartment on the ground floor.
No one was hurt in the fire, but EMS is assisting several residents who need oxygen and had to leave it behind.
“A guy on the ground floor over there set a bunch of paper towels on fire a few days ago,” resident Helen Dillard said. “He’s trying to kill himself. I bet this one was the same thing.”
Clarification: The apartments are independent living, not assisted living as reported earlier, several residents contacted us to say.